DetectorMods

Author Topic: new generation coils on gp series detectors  (Read 43916 times)

Joeboy

• View Profile
new generation coils on gp series detectors
« on: June 21, 2017, 07:01:28 pm »
G'day all, i just bought a fully modified Gp3000 with variable frequency mod etc... I was wondering if some of you guys are running any of the new evo or elite coils on your 'modded' Gp series machines. If so how do they handle for you, and which coil do you like the best. From what i read by those using standard Gp's with the flat wound coils, the smaller coils seem to be more suited than the larger ones. The modded Gp's with both variable gain and frequency mods, in theory should be able to be tune in any size flat wound coil. Running a 19"evo on a modded gp3000 at low frequency sounds like the ducks nuts to me, What do you guys think.

Joeboy.

debongos

• View Profile
Re: new generation coils on gp series detectors
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 10:36:19 pm »
Hi Joeboy,

I bought the Nugget Finder 17" Evolution model for my modded 4500 and find it very stable in the field. Detectormods have done some truly great development work in increasing capability of these older model detectors. Any improvement in coil performance is an opportunity to push further the capabilities of these mods.

Regards,

Peter

Joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 06:31:50 pm »
Hi Peter
Yeah i think thats a good point, any improvement in the detectors or coils is always a good thing. I remember using my 14" elite on the standard 4500 which was struggling  in normal timings. Being able to adjust frequency and gain to remove excessive ground noises is going to be a really big plus for me where i detect. I'm hoping it will be a winner on the modded gp3000, after watching Peter & Mat's latest youtube clip using the 19" evo makes me think the Gp will be no different. Time will tell
Joeboy

Joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2017, 03:00:57 pm »
G'day everybody,

I was thinking about picking up one the evo or elite coils for my fully modded Gp3000. Any of you guys and girls using them. i currently have the detech 15" ultimate dd coil which works perfectly on the Gp a bit heavy for all day use though, just like to know if the new mono's can be tamed on the modded Gp series with latest mods.
Thanks to anybody that would like to chime in, much appreciated.

cheers Joeboy.

Herb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017, 09:12:20 pm »
G'day Debongos
                        Good to hear someone else out there is using the same outfit as me (17" evo on the modded 45).Just wondering what settings you running as I'm having dramas controlling this beast . I'm in hot ground in Wa where I found a patch before I got my 45 modded and I know there's more there, except since modding am struggling with ground noise. I've tried running the new gain backed right off with rx gain on 1 but still noisy. Set up a test bed and can pick up a 1.8 g lead shot at 450 mm and a 2.5 oz lead sinker at 800+. Full new gain rx gain on 1 stabiliser 1 gives awesome results but too noisy to run in the field at this setting. Does the new gain have to be set full on start up or anything else I've missed.Cheers for any help and hope your finding the good stuff!

Joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 12:00:21 am »
Hi Herb,

be interesting to hear how this goes for you, nice to have more power and a smooth running machine at the same time thats for sure.
I dont have a gpx, but i just sold my gp3500 to buy a fully modded gp3000, so i cant recommend anything to you. I'm yet to test mine out using a mono, though my plan is to lower the frequency and gain to level that removes most of ground noise. Have you tried dropping your factory gain down low in relation to the var gain. i saw a youtube clip just the other day, A guy called Nenad showing some evo coils 17x13 and 19 with factory gain on 1, which was still better than fine gold or enhance it seem to remove a most of the ground noise too. Good luck with it, hope you can get it running sweet.

Joeboy

Herb

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 01:10:46 am »
Hey Joeboy
                I'd be pretty sure the17x13 evo would be sweet on your modded 3000 and used to be responsible well behaved on my 45 before mods. It's a sensitive coil that can pick up bits almost not worth digging. It's good to hear Debongos can get his running sweet which gives me hope. Tried running factory gain 1 stabiliser 1 and could get new gain up to 1/3 but still a bit talkative. Wonder about the advice you got given about turning frequency fully clockwise on startup and if that would work with the new gain. Anyways I'm confident I'll get it sorted cheers

Joeboy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 09:47:38 am »
G'day all,

Done some detecting recently with my full modded gp3000 using a 14x9 evo coil, all i can say these coils work perfectly on the gp series with mods.
I can detect gold that does not register on the scales and had to wet it to see the gold, frequency setting to max, gain 70%, Normal, sens 2, both channels used, fixed. Ran smooth only had to back gain down to half over some really hot pockets of dirt and chunks of charcoal in the round.

Happy prospecting
Joeboy.

woody

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2017, 01:02:05 am »
It is good that everything is working well, I have been testing a lot of very new experimental upgrades and there is some big performance gains to be had match the coil impedance more accurately to the input stage, using a balanced input design I can just about get rid of most emi. 

debongos

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2017, 10:27:07 pm »
Hi Herb, sorry about the late reply mate. Was out having a crack for a couple of weeks and then back at work catching up on everything that was waiting for me.

Mate there maybe considerable differences in ground mineralization between our areas. I can get the front end gain up to half way on average with the RX gain around 9-11 and stablizer a couple of notches higher again (sometimes a couple of notches lower).

When I have the coil quiet I re-check now and then with my tester to be sure everything is still working but also to see if I can crank up the front gain a little more. Obviously when it gets a little noisy I back it off a little.  My failing is that I'm so keen to get going I sometimes rush through the tuning. This caught me out on the first morning of my recent trip. Geared up I moved away from the 4x4 and turned on the 4500. After it booted up and settled down I ran through the back Led settings and then went to pull my tester from my pocket to fine tune further only to discover I had left it in the car. Deciding I won't need it, I headed off anyway and after about 30 minutes of very quiet coil operation I turned the front end gain up a little. Still very quiet I turned it up more, and more until it was at maximum and still the coil hummed quietly. Sensing things were not right I walked back to the car grabbed the tester which is a 11grm piece and at only a few centimeters away the coil could not detect it. Fearing the detector had died I sat on a log and went through all settings in detail which this time around included the front switches. Thankfully I discovered I had somehow knocked it into cancel mode and therefore easily fixed. A quiet coil is what we aim for but now and then I'll try and crank it up a little to see if I can increase capacity and if its too noisy, back it off. If I hadn't done this on my last trip I would not have suspected there was a problem and could have wasted a whole day.

Anyway, there are few setting combinations to try Herb and the ground in some areas may just to noisy. Have looked at Woody's suggested settings on this site?

Cheers,

Peter

Herb

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 02:22:37 pm »
Thanks Peter
                   Thanks for the tips. Can't seem to get my detector running close to those settings but can get to run smooth on lower ones. The main drama is I seem to be getting a lot more hot pockets of ground compared to before mods but after digging 6" down they disappear. Makes the ground look like three times as many nuggets came off it than did and exhausts me! Have to keep playing with coils and settings . Cheers Herb

debongos

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2017, 10:43:57 pm »
Herb do you have your soil timings switched to enhance?

Peter

Herb

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 07:19:29 pm »
Hi Debongos
                    I tried for an hour or so but still got some noise on hot patches. Testing in the test bed I lost quite a bit of depth so mainly stayed in normal. I've been working myself to the bone lately so haven't had a chance to get out for a few weeks. Starting to get twitchy and Shi" so I'm going to have to make it soon!  Herb

debongos

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2019, 09:58:25 pm »
I know this is an old topic but I have a question for anyone who can provide an answer.

Regarding the front end gain mod and just how far it can be tuned up -

Does the increased stability of a double D coil allow the front end gain to be set higher without incurring increased noise as would be the case with a mono?

Peter

WesHawkins

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2019, 05:47:18 pm »
I know this is an old topic but I have a question for anyone who can provide an answer.

Regarding the front end gain mod and just how far it can be tuned up -

Does the increased stability of a double D coil allow the front end gain to be set higher without incurring increased noise as would be the case with a mono?

Peter

Peter
  I’m wondering the same thing.  I’m thinking the front end gain and variable frequency mods should really help pump up a DD coil if you can run a little more pumped up because of the quietness of a DD coil.  I’ll soon find out as soon as my GPX 5000 gets back here.