DetectorMods

Author Topic: F1A4 power plug pin-out query ..  (Read 20231 times)

barry

• View Profile
F1A4 power plug pin-out query ..
« on: June 04, 2014, 07:38:17 pm »
HI ALL ,,I guess I am posting in the correct page ????.
I was wondering if anyone could PLEASE- explain the 4x lighter wires that run from socket to board ????.

The 2x heavier pos&neg wires carry slighty less than actual battery voltage ,, I did read the service manual [D/load available from M/L] & that states that when battery voltage drops the F1A4 compensates [black-box underneath battery compartment] ????? & delivers correct operating voltage to get maximum life from the Dcells..

MAYBE the 4x lighter wires are for some accessary [thesocket is named power &accessaries?????

MAYBE they are'' programming pins''???? as I see no other port , but the service manual say's there is one ?????

The reason I ask this is I was looking to CHANGE THE Battery set-up ..& do not want to kill the Detector..

A Schematic diagram would be Nice but I guess M/L would not be forthcoming HA,Haaar..

CHEERS ,,,,BARRY..

woody

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: F1A4 power plug pin-out query ..
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 11:56:24 am »
The black box is a multi output switched-mode voltage converter, you need it or the detector will not function.

downhalo

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 05:32:51 pm »
Yep, I tried to power it off a bench supply set to exactly 6v detector just sounds off as if you're batteries are low.... Its a shame.. It would be nice to get rid of the Mil-spec battery pack/plugs, install 4 pin SD/GP..
I did the above mentioned by installing a 4 pin socket on the battery lid, then wiring into the + and - points... can now run off SD/GP (or the LT battery setup) get better run time than I ever did off D cells..

woody

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 09:30:45 pm »
I had a look at this problem and have come up with a mod to completely remove that switch mode supply... its just a few pin changes on an IC.

Warhawk

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2015, 04:09:59 pm »
Any chance of some info on which IC/pins? Would love to mod mine, really hate having that battery pack in the way, I could use the space for a rotary switch, add a few extra frequencies.. maybe run the Audio out the back..  etc :)