DetectorMods

Author Topic: Battery for a GP series detector  (Read 14478 times)

WesHawkins

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Battery for a GP series detector
« on: February 25, 2014, 01:54:01 pm »
Woody
  I have a question.  Since the GP series detectors have an internal voltage regulator could a GPX battery be used for a GP series detector if a power cable could be made for it.  I think minelab still only uses four wires in the power cord even though the cord for a GPX series is a five prong plug.  Am I right or wrong.  I'm looking at GP series detectors as a backup and to be modded but don't like that heavy battery.
Thanks, Wes Hawkins

woody

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Battery for a GP series detector
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2014, 01:58:45 pm »
Hi Wes, It is not a good idea as a fully charged GPX is 8.4 and safety cut out on a GP is around 7.8-8 volts.

It can pop the input soft start Fet and it takes out some of the circuit tracks as well.

WesHawkins

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Battery for a GP series detector
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2014, 03:52:32 am »
Thanks Woody
  That solves that issue.  I got Doc's amp and battery system that uses the small camcorder batteries, one system for my 2100 and one for my 4000, but I don't get out as much as I use to and forget to keep the batteries charged.  I've gone through about a half dozen of those small batteries because they just loose the ability to hold a charge.  I'm using the old Reeds Lithium 12 volt regulated system for the 2100 with the voltage adjusted up to 7.3 volts and it still works great.  That system is about 14 years old and I know it won't last forever. 
Thanks for your help.
Wes.